This interactive course provides management with a working knowledge of various employment laws so they can effectively address concerns and conduct that expose them and the company to liability. Employment Acts covered include Americans with Disabilities, Age Discrimination in Employment, Family Medical Leave and Pregnancy Discrimination, as well as Title VII. We also address the impact of retaliatory behavior and the necessity of proper documentation practices.
- Title VII and its major provisions, including the history and the role to the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission:
- Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) – Supervisors will learn the basics of EEO compliance. They will learn the protected classes, process of filing and responding to EEO claims and the role to the EEOC.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and the Pregnancy Discrimination Act (PDA) – We will discuss each of these acts separately. For each we will discuss the basic provisions of the Act, types of conduct that is covered by the Act and provide and practice techniques to address issues raised in the workplace relating to the Acts. Although, we can provide harassment training, in our employment law course we will typically only cover basic information so supervisors can understand the difference in PDA and harassment and we will update participants on recent case law that impacts sexual harassment claims. If requested or warranted, we can provide more in-depth harassment training.
- Retaliation – We discuss the law related to retaliation and how a claimant could prevail on a retaliation claim even where the facts do not support that the company violated any other employment laws.
- Documentation – We will conclude this class by providing techniques to document issues and claims in a legally sensitive and defensible manner.
- Participants will be able to identify fact patterns, statements and conduct that may be subject to EEO compliance, ADA, FMLA, ADEA, FLSA and PDA.
- Participants will learn how simple actions and inactions can turn into claims, lawsuits and public relations nightmares.
- Participants will be able to fairly and respectfully respond to situations covered by employment laws as required by the laws.
- Participants will be able to recognize stages when they need to get Human Resources or Legal involved.
- Participants will be able to document information relating to matters covered by the employment laws in a factual, objective, unbiased and non-emotional manner.
How This Helps Companies
Want more information about this course? SIGN UP HERE
What Customers Say – Testimonials
After attending many presentations on the subject of Legal Avoidance Training by highly qualified individuals, I can truly say that the LegalWATCH style of presenting and training was the best. From Officers of the company to line management, everyone who has attended classes have walked away with a greater appreciation for being better professionals in all that they do and have actually made changes to correct many of their bad habits.